Re: SMTP library problem

From: Stephen Berman
Subject: Re: SMTP library problem
Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2008 00:29:15 +0100

On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 15:47:54 +0100 David <de_bb@arcor.de> wrote:

> Stephen Berman <Stephen.Berman@gmx.net> writes:
>> Ok, I set smtpmail-default-smtp-server to "localhost" and
>> smtpmail-auth-credentials to '(("localhost" 2000 "myusername"
>> "mypassword")), and indeed it did work -- almost.  Since the mail goes
>> through localhost, it gets picked up by the postfix server running on my
>> system.
>
> You local postfix listens on another port (25), so it should not pick up
> the mail. You must have done something wrong in your smtpmail.el
> configuration. Here's how it should work:
>
> (setq smtpmail-default-smtp-server "localhost")
> (setq smtpmail-smtp-service 2000)
> (require 'smtpmail)
> (setq send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
> (setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
> (setq smtpmail-debug-info t)
> (setq smtpmail-auth-credentials
>       '(("localhost" 2000 "name" "pass")))

When I tried it I had failed to set smtpmail-smtp-service to 2000
(though I did have that port set in smtpmail-auth-credentials), and its
default value is 25, so that explains why postfix intervened.
Unfortunately, when I set it to 2000 as above, it was rejected:

open-network-stream: make client process failed: connection refused,
:name, SMTP, :buffer, *trace of SMTP session to localhost*, :host,
localhost, :service, 2000

I temporarily disabled my firewall in case it was blocking access to
this port, but that didn't help.  Same with other high ports I tried.
So I'm still stuck. :(  Do you know what the problem could be now?

Steve Berman