Re: SMTP library problem

From: Stephen Berman
Subject: Re: SMTP library problem
Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2008 16:35:33 +0100

On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 13:15:02 +0100 David <de_bb@arcor.de> wrote:

> Stephen Berman <Stephen.Berman@gmx.net> writes:
>> open-network-stream: make client process failed: connection refused,
>> :name, SMTP, :buffer, *trace of SMTP session to localhost*, :host,
>> localhost, :service, 2000
>>
>> I temporarily disabled my firewall in case it was blocking access to
>> this port, but that didn't help.  Same with other high ports I tried.
>> So I'm still stuck. :(  Do you know what the problem could be now?
>
> Try a privileged port (<1024). You can easily test the stunnel setup by
> using 'telnet localhost PORT'; you should then see the mail server
> greeting. Otherwise I wouldn't know what the problem is.

With 'telnet localhost PORT' I only get a connection if PORT is one that
some service is listening on (those with state LISTEN in the output of
`netstat -t -a -p --numeric-ports'), and stunnel is not among those.
Every other value of PORT returns this:

Trying 127.0.0.1...
telnet: connect to address 127.0.0.1: Connection refused
Trying ::1...
telnet: connect to address ::1: Connection refused

Whatever the problem is, it evidently does not have to do with
smtpmail.el, so is at least at this point OT here.  If you have any
other ideas or suggestions, I'd be grateful for an email; otherwise I'll
try to pursue this on a more relevant forum.  Thanks again for your
help.

Steve Berman