Re: flyspelling at undesirable/unneeded moments

From: Sébastien Vauban
Subject: Re: flyspelling at undesirable/unneeded moments
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 12:19:53 +0100

Hi Kevin,

>> I've turned on (the great) `flyspell' in many major editing
>> modes with the following code:

;; turn on `flyspell' for various major modes
(mapc (lambda (hook)
        (add-hook hook 'my-turn-on-flyspell-french))
      '(message-mode-hook
        text-mode-hook
        latex-mode-hook
        tex-mode-hook
        nuweb-mode-hook
        html-mode-hook)))

> Don't all those modes run text-mode-hook as a matter of
> course?

No, it seems they don't. I just let `text-mode-hook', and then
it's not enabled for messages or latex buffers...

Is there a way to see from which mode the current major mode is
inheriting properties?

>> The problem is that, even in its fastest mode, it takes some
>> amount of time - what's annoying for looooong documents.
>>
>> #1. How could we avoid that (i.e., not being called when open
>>     by ediff)?
>>
>> #2. Is it possible to hook it in such a way (that it's only
>>     enabled at the time we begin modifying the document)?
>>     Does such hook concept exist?
>
> (defvar my-flyspell-major-mode-list
>   '(text-mode-hook))
>
> (add-hook 'first-change-hook
>         (lambda ()
>           (when (and (memq major-mode my-flyspell-major-mode-list)
>                      (not flyspell-mode))
>             (my-turn-on-flyspell-french))))

Just one word: GREAT! Thank you very much...

I really appreciate your help (BTW, not only when you answer my
questions).

Though, I just had to make a couple of adaptations to
`my-flyspell-major-mode-list' as `text-mode' is not sufficient
(see my above comment), and the `hook' suffix is too much.

Here's my adapted version:

    (defvar my-flyspell-major-mode-list
      '(latex-mode
        message-mode
        muse-mode
        nuweb-mode
        nxml-mode
        text-mode))

    (add-hook 'first-change-hook
              (lambda ()
;;                 (message "major-mode is %s" major-mode)
                (when (and (memq major-mode my-flyspell-major-mode-list)
                           (not flyspell-mode))
                  (my-turn-on-flyspell-french))))

Best regards,
  Seb