Re: Viewing PDFs as text?

From: Roland Winkler
Subject: Re: Viewing PDFs as text?
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 14:11:17 +0100

> Roland Winkler <Roland.Winkler@physik.uni-erlangen.de> writes:
>
>> It would be nice if doc-view used a plain text format if emacs is
>> running in a tty. Or am I missing something?
>
> No, I'll have a look if that's easy to do.  Til then you can use
>
>   ! pdftotext ? - RET
>
> from within dired.

Of course, not all pdf files are such that pdftotext can give
meaningful results. Figures and, say, formulas in a file generated
with pdflatex will be screwed up. However, fairly often I need to
use a tty. Anything that helps me along that way is greatly
appreciated. For me, one of the big advantages of emacs is that it
allows me to get the most out of a plain old tty.

Roland