Re: code completion

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: code completion
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 22:07:54 +0100

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
From: Richard G Riley <rileyrgdev@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 16:56:11 +0100

I have a nasty
feeling that using emacs as a C/C++ IDE might be coming to the end of
the road as it falls behind in many of the features (code completion,
refactoring for an example) that more modern IDEs like Eclipse
provides. The maintainer of ecb as good as said the same. A shame.

It's indeed a shame that no one of you young programmers who need this
``modern IDE'' stuff steps forward to add such features to Emacs.
Don't just rely on us old farts!

Every useful feature in Emacs (and elsewhere in Free Software) started
as a programmer's itch.  There's nothing particularly hard about
adding this, much of the infrastructure is already there.  All you
need is a little time and some will power.

It looks to me like Eric Ludlam is very actively developing CEDET/Semantic/EDE right now.

I do not understand these things very well at all, but is not that a very promising framework?