Re: File name completion on Mac OS X with German umlauts

From: Nikolaj Schumacher
Subject: Re: File name completion on Mac OS X with German umlauts
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 16:44:03 +0100

Markus <mnissl@gmx.de> wrote:

> But I guess this is maybe not only an Emacs bug, but also one in Mac
> OS X. In the recent years, Linux finally succeeded in dealing with
> umlauts well. But I quit Linux three years ago for the Mac ... I
> didn't expect such annoying things to reappear :-(

Actually ...
As I said OSX uses a different method for representing umlauts.  But at
least it uses that representation exclusively in its FS.

GNU/Linux supports BOTH representations.  For instance, if you rsync
"rückerstattung" from a Linux machine to a Mac machine and back, you
will end up with 2 files named "rückerstattung".  Each will have a
different representation to the machine but will look indistinguishable
to the user.  Completing will work nicely on one, but have the very same
problems on the other...

I don't think either OS is to blame.  It's an app (or maybe string
library) problem.  Nobody expects the same character to have two legal
representations.

(Did someone say Unicode was the /end/ to all encoding woes?)

regards,
Nikolaj Schumacher