Re: File name completion on Mac OS X with German umlauts

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: File name completion on Mac OS X with German umlauts
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 00:23:29 +0100

On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 10:55 PM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

>  In particular, I don't see why file names with "X" and "Ⅹ" are okay
>  for you, but the two types of "ü" are not.  I think they are both
>  exhibiting the same problem.

Well, the first two, U+0058 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER X and U+2169 ROMAN
NUMERAL TEN, are meant to be semantically distinct.

However, U+00FC LATIN SMALL LETTER U WITH DIAERESIS is supposed to be
semantically identical to U+0075 LATIN SMALL LETTER U plus U+0308
COMBINING DIAERESIS. In the first case, we're talking about different
abstract characters represented with different codepoints. In the
second case, we're talking about the same abstract character. Other
than a byte comparison, there is no distinction between both ü. You
wouldn't expect a font supporting Unicode to represent U+00FC
different that U+0075 plus U+0308.

 Juanma