Setting CVSROOT for VC-mode (without .bashrc)

From: Sven Bretfeld
Subject: Setting CVSROOT for VC-mode (without .bashrc)
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 22:21:48 +0100

Hi to all

Due to an unknown reason Emacs (23.0.50.1) doesn't recognize my
environment variables when started via Icon or start-menu. I use one
CVS repository for all my work, and it's specified in ~/.bashrc. The
VC mode is working as expected if I start Emacs from the bash.
However, when started in the "common" ways under X (Icon, KDE-Menu,
kicker), Emacs behaves like this:

M-x cvs-update RET ~/aktuell/ RET

,----
| Repository : ?????
| Module     :
| Working dir: ~/aktuell/
|
| Message: cvs [update aborted]: or set the CVSROOT environment variable.
| Message: cvs update: No CVSROOT specified!  Please use the `-d' option
`----

I have my primary Debian Etch machine newly installed on Sunday. It
worked before, when I used exactly the same configuration (same OS,
same Emacs version, same Emacs-init-file, same .bashrc). I have two
other PCs running Debian with exactly the same configuration. One of
them shows the same behavior. The other one does alright. So, this
seems to be a somewhat arbitrary behavior.

I got help from the German Debian mailing list but with no solution so
far. ~/.bashrc, ~/.bash_profile and /etc/kde3/kdm/Xsession seem to be
alright.

Is there a way to specify CVSROOT in the .emacs? That will be a
workaround, but I have found no hints in the manual. It seems to
consider the environment variables to be read by Emacs. Or, are there
any other ideas?

Greetings

Sven