Re: CUA and other applications

From: David Golden
Subject: Re: CUA and other applications
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 17:55:41 +0000

Johan Bockgård wrote:

> David Golden <david.golden@oceanfree.net> writes:
>
>> there is an experimental patch that expands emacs to include the
>> standard behaviour as well as all existing possibilities
>
> Does this mean that Emacs's standard mouse facilities can finally
> emulate `mouse-sel-mode'?:
>
>     - Selecting sets the region & X primary selection, but does NOT
>     affect the `kill-ring', nor do the kill-ring functions change the
>     X selection.

Basically yes, but there are other issues - mouse-sel-mode really only
deals with mouse interactions (at least last I checked). There is some
functional overlap with mouse-sel-mode alright, but mouse-sel-mode e.g.
doesn't make the /set via keyboard/ [transient-mark] regions set the
primary X selection, patch does (reasonably reliably through an idle
timer trick).

(Also, of course you probably want explicit kill ring functions changing
_an_ X selection, the clipboard one, just not the primary one).