RE: Dired hd drives list

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Dired hd drives list
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 14:49:50 -0700

> > How would you incorporate the output from df into a dired listing?
>
> Why would one like it?  Dired already shows that output for the
> filesystem where the listed directory lives, but I cannot figure out
> why would I want to see other filesystems together with that?

I think it would be good - why not?

It's what we have in Windows Explorer when My Computer is selected in the
folder tree. Saying that this would be useless for Dired is like saying that
it is useless for Windows Explorer. It gives you a top-level view of all
drives (and, in Windows Explorer, also some other things such as Control
Panel).

The Unix notion of root directory, /, only partly corresponds to the Windows
notion of individual drive root, e.g. c:\. In another sense, it could be
said to correspond to My Computer, that is, to a top level that includes all
drives.

Dired has no equivalent of the My Computer level, I'd guess, because of its
Unix bias and legacy. That's OK as a historical explanation, but it doesn't
mean such a feature wouldn't be useful.