Re: table

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: table
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 20:35:34 -0600

harven wrote:
 I am trying to build a text-based table under emacs 22.1 stable. I
want to change the characters used to draw the borders of the table.

From the emacs manual, I have to set a few
variables:
(setq table-cell-intersection-char ?\u2504B)
(table-cell-vertical-char ?\u2503)
(setq table-cell-horizontal-chars ?\u2501)

Everything is fine for the two first variables, but
it doesn' t work for the last.
I had a look at the table.el file. There is only
one place where table-cell-horizontal-char
is mentioned, at the very beginning. The variable
used thereafter is table-cell-intersection-chars
and contains a string instead of a character.

You meant table-cell-horizontal-chars, right?

(setq table-cell-horizontal-chars "\u2501")
finally worked for me but I am still wondering
what's going on there. Any hint ?

The mention of singular -char in the Commentary of table.el and in the
Emacs manual are documentation bugs: there is no such variable.

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA