RE: Dired hd drives list

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Dired hd drives list
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 08:14:06 -0700

> > > How useful would it be to those of us that use Unix?
> >
> > Not useful at all. I thought that was clear.
>
> I don't see why not: `df' shows several filesystems on Unix as well.

Oh, OK, go for it. I was thinking of the My Computer level as, in a sense,
analogous to the Unix root directory. In Windows, going `up' from c: is a common
operation in Windows Explorer (though `cd ..' doesn't get you there, any more
than `cd ..' lets you go up from the root directory on Unix).

So sure, why not? That makes sense.

But `df' is not really analogous to Windows Explorer's My Computer level either.
`df' prints disk-space information no matter where you are, and it doesn't
change your location.

I was understanding the OP as suggesting that we add a `top' My Computer-like
pseudo directory to Dired, which you would get to, say, via `..' from c:, not a
command like `df' that leaves you where you are but prints info for all drives.
Dunno which the OP had in mind.

Perhaps a command that just prints the info would be better in some ways,
instead of mimicking Windows Explorer by giving you a navigable place
(pseudo-directory) to view everything. The notion of current directory wouldn't
be problematic then. An advantage of the Windows Explorer-like approach is that
it does fit in with navigation, so you could do things like insert subdirs. The
`df' command approach would no doubt be easier to implement (nothing to do, for
Unix) and less problematic.