Re: help with makefile command line

From: Mike Mattie
Subject: Re: help with makefile command line
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 21:42:20 -0700

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 06:19:17 +0200
Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> > From: "Balaji V. Iyer" <bviyer@ncsu.edu>
> > Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 09:09:56 -0400
> >
> >     I use the compile option extenstively in emacs. When I type "M-x
> > compile" the default line is "make -k" Many times I do not have a
> > make file
>
> You don't need a Makefile to perform simple tasks, because Make knows
> a lot of built in rules out of the box.  For example, to compile a .c
> source file foo.c into a program foo, all you need is say "make -k
> foo", and Make will do it even without a Makefile.
>
> > thus I would lke the default line to be
> >
> > "gcc -ansi -O4 -Wall <c_source_file>"
> >
> > How do I do this?
>
> Customize the variable compile-command.
>
> > I tried the following command but it doesn't seem to work (If anyone
> > have a better idea please let me know).
> >
> > (function
> >  (lambda ()
> >    (unless (or (file-exists-p "makefile")
> >                (file-exists-p "Makefile"))
> >      (setq compile-command
> >            (concat "gcc -Wall -O3 -o"
> >                    (file-name-sans-extension (file-name-nondirectory
> > buffer-file -name))
> >                    " "
> >                    (file-name-nondirectory buffer-file-name))))))
>
> Where did you put this and how did you use it?

(defun string-join (prefix list)
  ;; This is analogous to the perl5 join function.
  ;; given a <prefix> and a <list> of strings join the
  ;; strings with <prefix> as a seperator between the
  ;; list values.
  ;;
  ;; The result is a single string value.
  (apply 'concat
    (car list)
    (if (cdr list) (prefix-strings prefix (cdr list))) ))

(setq my-warnings '("-Wall"))
(setq my-optimization '("-O2"))

(defun create-compile-command ( target source )
  (string-join " " (cons
                     (or (getenv "CC") "gcc")
                     (append my-warnings my-optimization (list "-o" target
source)))))

(create-compile-command "foo" "foo.c")

(defun my-compile ()
  (interactive)
  (lexical-let*
    ((source    (file-name-nondirectory buffer-file-name))
     (target    (file-name-sans-extension source)))

    (if (file-readable-p (concat (file-name-directory buffer-file-name)
"Makefile"))
      (compile)
      (let
        (compile-command (create-compile-command))
        (compile))) ))

I haven't used compile in a while, but this is a sketch of how I would approach
it. Hope it helps.

Cheers,
Mike Mattie