Re: emacs 22 + tramp 2.0.55: password caching problem/question.

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: emacs 22 + tramp 2.0.55: password caching problem/question.
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 15:04:59 +0100

Michal <rabbit50@tenbit.pl> writes:

> Hallo Group Members

Hi,

> in my ~/.emacs I set:
>
> (setq password-cache-expiry nil)
>
> I visit remote folder with:
> /scp:root@10.102.12.89:/etc
>
> then emacs asks for password.
>
> Since then everytime, when I visit remote directories I do not have to
> reenter password, but when I try to visit any remote regular file, it ALWAYS
> asks me for password.

That is OK. Tramp keeps a permanent ssh connection for retrieving
information about files. So you have to enter the password only
once. For copying a file, it opens a new subprocess for the respective
scp command, that's why you are asked about the pasword again.

> Also from "TRAMP version 2.0.55 User Manual" info manual I can read:
>
>    Implementation Note: password caching is based on the package
> password.el in No Gnus.  For the time being, it is activated only when
> this package is seen in the `load-path' while loading TRAMP.  It will
> be activated mandatory once No Gnus has found its way into GNU Emacs.
>
> but I do not have password.el* file in my system.

This happened now with Emacs 23 (the development version of
Emacs). The file is renamed to password-cache.el.

> C-h v gnus-version:
> gnus-version is a variable defined in `gnus.el'.
> Its value is "Gnus v5.11"

No idea whether this Gnus version carries password.el.

> Both gnus and tramp packages used by me are ones provided with emacs 22.
>
> Did You experience such problems?

I would recommend you ssh-agent. If it is running, you need to enter
the passphrase of your local identity only once.

> regards,
> Michal

Best regards, Michael.