Re: emacs shell cursor movement is broken in 22.1

From: wainstead
Subject: Re: emacs shell cursor movement is broken in 22.1
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 13:43:26 -0700 (PDT)

On Mar 15, 11:01 am, jimka <ji...@rdrop.com> wrote:
> great! that is great news

Hey jimka!

Well, I met with Miles Bader who, it turns out, wrote major portions
of shell-mode. I didn't know this beforehand so it was a pleasant
surprise.

I demo'd the problems for him; he had a bit of trouble though because
of some of the oddities of running Emacs on OS X; he first thought it
might have something to do with the text.

He thinks it's definitely a Lisp problem, not something wonky with the
terminal or anything. (This didn't surprise me much). shell-mode
inherits stuff from comint-mode, and he thinks the problem lies in
somebody doing a fix/kludge/improvement somewhere else which has
introduced this bug to shell-mode.

I'm going to point him to this thread and see if I can nudge him to
diagnose the bug... it seems like about thirty minutes of poking
around and he'll know what's wrong and how to fix it.

~swain