Can't remap option key in Mac OS X

From: Christos Chryssochoidis
Subject: Can't remap option key in Mac OS X
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 16:51:15 +0200

Greetings,

I 'm trying to remap the option key in Emacs on Mac OS X so as it
doens't function as the Meta key, as it does by default. (I would like it
instead to function at it normally does in other applications to type special
characters.) I tried combinations of

(setq mac-pass-option-to-system nil/t)
(setq mac-option-modifier nil)

in my .emacs, but they don't seem to have any effect. Emacs seems to
ignore them and keeps treating the option key as Meta. Am I doing
something wrong? Which is the correct way to make the "option" key not
function as Meta in Mac OS X?

Thanks very much for any help.

C. Chryssochoidis