Re: help with makefile command line

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: help with makefile command line
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 09:33:15 -0600

stan wrote:
Richard G Riley wrote:
"Balaji V. Iyer" <bviyer@ncsu.edu> writes:

Hello Everyone,
    I use the compile option extenstively in emacs. When I type "M-x
compile" the default line is "make -k" Many times I do not have a make
file thus I would lke the default line to be
"gcc -ansi -O4 -Wall <c_source_file>" How do I do this? I tried the following command but it doesn't seem to work (If anyone
have a better idea please let me know).
(function
 (lambda ()
   (unless (or (file-exists-p "makefile")
               (file-exists-p "Makefile"))
     (setq compile-command
           (concat "gcc -Wall -O3 -o"
                   (file-name-sans-extension (file-name-nondirectory
buffer-file -name))
                   " "
                   (file-name-nondirectory buffer-file-name))))))
<snip>

Seems like it might be easier to write a makefile :)

You don't need to write a Makefile, because make has built-in rules that
handle this.

(add-hook 'c-mode-hook
          (lambda ()
            (set (make-local-variable 'compile-command)
                 (format "make %s"
                         (file-name-sans-extension
                          (file-name-nondirectory buffer-file-name))))))

Just set the CC=gcc and CFLAGs="-Wall -O3" environment variables, and voila!

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA