Re: Reasons for Switching to Eshell

From: Will Parsons
Subject: Re: Reasons for Switching to Eshell
Date: 30 Mar 2008 01:25:32 GMT

Lorenzo Isella wrote:
> Dear All,
> I am slowly discovering new features in emacs and I found out it has its
> own shell (eshell).
> Now, I wonder if it is a good investment to learn how to use it. I found
> tons of tutorials online (BTW: any recommendation to start me out?), but
> I am missing the big picture.
> I suppose that eshell must be perfectly integrated with emacs, but other
> than that are there reasons to give it preference with respect to .e.g BASH?
> Many thanks

I'm generally quite happy using the "native" shell (whether bash or tcsh)
under Unix-type systems, but I find eshell far superior to the native
command shell under Windows.  If you work (as I do) in various
environments, I can see where one might prefer to use the same shell
everywhere, and eshell provides that ability.  (The ability to use the same
[powerful] editor under many different OS's is a prime reason why I'm an
Emacs user in the first place.)

--
Will