Re: Reasons for Switching to Eshell

From: Mathias Dahl
Subject: Re: Reasons for Switching to Eshell
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 14:15:46 +0200

Lorenzo Isella <lorenzo.isella@gmail.com> writes:

> I suppose that eshell must be perfectly integrated with emacs, but
> other than that are there reasons to give it preference with respect
> to .e.g BASH?

I love eshell and the cool extra features it adds but there are some
problems with it:

 - Doing su or sudo su does not work like you expect. This works under
   the normal shell (M-x shell). I am su:ing quite much (please, no
   lectures about why this might be a bad idea) so for me this is
   annoying.

 - Programs with "GUIs" (ncurses or whatever) that uses the terminal in
   clever ways does not work very well. This applies to the normal shell
   as well. For pure command line programs both work great.

A good thing, as someone else mentioned, is that if you use eshell it
will work the same for all platforms where you use Emacs.

If the above does not scare you, you should definitely look into
Eshell. EmacsWiki has quite a lot of goodies for it.

/Mathias