RE: Info-mode and ido

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Info-mode and ido
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 20:34:43 -0700

> > Candidates are available in *Completions*, if you want to
> > see them. By default, *Completions* is shown only on demand
> > (hit TAB or S-TAB), but you can optionally have it appear
> > as soon as Emacs starts reading your input.
>
> So this is the major UI difference between Icicles and Ido.

No, it's not the major UI difference. I described some of the major differences.

And display of *Completions* is not even a difference, since you can have
Icicles open *Completions* immediately, on demand, or not at all.

A difference is that Ido shows candidates in the minibuffer and Icicles does
not, but that is not a major UI difference. (And you can use Icicles with
icomplete[+].el.)

> One of the drawbacks of open a separate *Completions* buffer is kind of
> distraction, with window creation and destruction.

So don't open it. You never need to show *Completions*. You say that you don't
look at the candidates list in Ido's minibuffer anyway, so you apparently don't
need to see any candidates.

If you start working with sets of candidates (which you can do in Icicles but
not in Ido), then you might want to see them sometimes, at least while defining
a set. But if you are just after a single candidate, then you don't need to show
them at all.

> > You might like Icicles or you might not, but don't expect
> > it to be the same as either vanilla Emacs or ido.
>
> I think I'm hopelessly addicted to ido at present.

There's hope even for the hopeless... but habits can be hard to kick.