RE: how to find out where a variable is changed?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: how to find out where a variable is changed?
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 10:27:54 -0700

> > Anyway, every other emacs-user seems happy with customize -
> > maybe I could get some hints from you guys?
>
> Not me!
>
> I make one careless command -- may be only distantly related to
> customize -- and my .emacs gets strewn with customize crud.
>
> And as you point out what comes up when you call customize is quite
> unintuitive and unhelpful
>
> O for the time when a setq in .emacs did the job!

Yes, the Customize UI could use some improvement. Send your suggestions to
emacs-devel@gnu.org. Descriptions of deficiencies help; so do descriptions of
solutions and patches.

Tip: It's not a bad idea to use a separate `custom-file' (`C-h v custom-file'),
so that Customize does not write to your .emacs file. Put this, for example, at
the end of your .emacs: (load-file custom-file). That way, your `init-file' is
for hand editing, and your `custom-file' is for automatic editing by Customize.