Re: Profiling *entire* Emacs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Profiling *entire* Emacs
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 22:21:37 +0300

> From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Nordl=F6w?= <per.nordlow@gmail.com>
> Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 04:44:26 -0700 (PDT)
>
> I looking for a way to profile (instrument) entire Emacs preferrably
> including both built-in- and lisp-functions. Is this possible?

Emacs can be built with profiling on the C level enabled.  You need to
pass the -DPROFILING switch to the compiler.  See the source file
emacs.c for the details; not all platforms support this.

> The
> instrumentation built into Emacs does not seem be built for profiling
> entire Emacs. Is there another way? Or is the only feasable way to
> build Emacs with debug-symbols and run it through gprof or oprofile?

The latter.

> The main reason for desire is that my fancy additional font-locking
> for different classes of operators, braces, function calls, etc are
> very useful but far too slow.

I'd suggest to use elp to profile the Lisp code, then, if you find
that a significant amount of time is spent inside primitives written
in C, profile on the C level.