Re: Automatic versioning

From: Timothy Hobbs
Subject: Re: Automatic versioning
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2008 13:35:35 -0700

Kevin Rodgers <kevin.d.rodgers@gmail.com> writes:
>>> (defadvice save-buffer (before version activate)
>>>   "I wish to have all files versioned, period."
>>>   (ad-set-arg 0 '(64)))
>>
>> What exactly does this do?
>
> It makes save-buffer behave as if it were invoked as
> `C-u C-u C-u C-x C-s' (see "Prefixed with three C-u's"
> below).

> | Prefixed with three C-u's, marks this version
> |  to become a backup when the next save is done,
> |  and unconditionally makes the previous version into a backup file.

That seems like a terribly inefficient way of doing things.  Creating many many
multiple backup copies.  Especially because I save quite regularly.  I could
easily end up with hundreds or thousands of backup copies.  Not what I want.  It
seems that there should be a system almost exactly like mediawiki's in which
diffs are saved, and you can see a list of versions, compare them--even across
ranges, revert them, spin through different versions with a next/previous
button.  ect.

Timothy