Re: emacs-cvs results in calendar errors

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: emacs-cvs results in calendar errors
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2008 20:21:34 +1000

Gijs Hillenius <gijs.hillenius@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi
>
> I'm using Debian emacs-snapshot (emacs.orebokech.com) and this weekend's
> upgrade is causing errors in calendar mode & diary that I have not been
> able to isolate to my own set up ..  Problems seem to conentrate on
> these fancy diary entries: diary-anniversary and diary-block.
>
> starting emacs-snapshot-gtk -Q
>
> results in a calendar that will (also) mess up the Dutch dates in the
> diary file. A diary-anniversary at Feb 4 will show up on April 2nd and
> so on.
>
> Far worse is that selecting any date will result in a buffer with several
> diary-block entries,
> %%(diary-block 27 01 2006 29 01 2006) plus the entry text
> %%(diary-block 23 4 2006 30 4 2006) ..
> and more of these. I don't really recognize the pattern, selecting other
> dates will give some of these diary-blocks and or others...
>
> Also, the buffer will have a title: "Some text is hidden - press "s" in
> calendar before edit/copy"
>
> If I press s, I get a block of appointments in March 2008 and April
> 2008..
>
> What could be going wrong, and how could I resolve this?

I think some owrk is being done on the calendar code in CVS emacs just
now. I noticed when I tried to build emacs from CVS yesterday that it
kept failing when trying to compile the calendar stuff. I waited a few
hours and then it was OK after another update. I noticed that calendar
related files had been updated.

It is possible the snapshot has some bugs - actually, since its a CVS
snapshot, its almost certain. Suggest you either wait until the next
snaphsot update or use emacs22 until the problem is fixed. You could try
building from CVS and see if that fixes the problem.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au