Re: Auctex for emacs?

From: B. T. Raven
Subject: Re: Auctex for emacs?
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2008 18:23:33 -0500

saneman wrote:
I have just installed auctex for emacs, but should I enable something in my .emacs file to make it work?

I have this at the start of my .emacs:

(load "auctex.el" nil t t)
(load "preview-latex.el" nil t t)

(setq TeX-auto-save t)
(setq TeX-parse-self t)
(setq-default TeX-master nil)
(add-hook 'LaTeX-mode-hook 'turn-on-reftex)
(setq reftex-plug-into-AUCTeX t)

I don't understand it but it works.

In addition you need a teX package. MiKTeX is free.
The above applies to w32 Emacs and Auctex but it might be the same for G/L too.

Another thing. I am used to the Latex editor Kile. In Kile when you type '\ref' a list of all your references pops up and when you type '\cite' a list of all items in the bibliography pops up. Is this kind of functionality available in emacs?

Probably. Don't know. I'm a rank newbie at this.