Re: forward-paragraph, paragraph-start trouble

From: John J Foerch
Subject: Re: forward-paragraph, paragraph-start trouble
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 16:14:32 -0400

Andreas Röhler <andreas.roehler@online.de> writes:
> What about this?
>
> (defun my-paragraph-start (&optional indent this)
>   (interactive)
>   (beginning-of-line)
>   (or this (setq this (point-min)))
>   (when (<= this (point))
>     (let* ((pos (point))
>          (this-indent (- (progn (skip-chars-forward " \t")(point))pos))
>          (indent (or indent
>                      this-indent)))
>       (unless
>         (< indent this-indent)
>       (forward-line 1)
>       (my-paragraph-start this-indent (point))))))

Hi Andreas,

Thank you so much--I will play around with this code and see what I can
come up with.

Yet now I am thinking that the best course for me may be to modify
`forward-paragraph' perhaps to add a third regexp for finding paragraph
boundaries.  forward-paragraph is very dense code, and it may be a
considerable challenge to do what I want with it, but the advantage
would be that my mode would not have to have a complete set of its own
movement commands.  Presumably reducing code duplication is the
intention behind the variables `paragraph-start' and
`paragraph-separate', but unfortunately, they are not quite enough for
even this simple of a variation on emacs' standard paragraph style.

John Foerch