RE: Different fframes / different fonts

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Different fframes / different fonts
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2008 12:27:43 -0700

> > > Yes. M-x set-frame-font.
> >
> > http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/SetFonts#ChangingFontSize
> >
> > http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs/zoom-frm.el -
> > I bind zooming in to 'S-mouse-1' and zooming out to `C-S-mouse-1'.
>
> I think I did not adopt the right terminology.  emacs' frames are
> desktop windows.  It seems that the methods above will resize the font
> of a window.  What I thought of with my question was instead
> to modify a
> part of a window eg. when several files are shown in emacs (by using
> C-x 2, C-x 3 to split a frame, and loading different files in these),
> then would it be possible to resize the font of only one of those
> splitted views ?  This is why I thought my question was
> far-fetched.  I would be very surprised if it was possible since
> it seems the fonts are derived from the parent frame.
>
> It'd be nice though, to have a view of a file in a smaller font, while
> the other 'splitted views' (I really don't know how to call
> them) would remain at their original font size.

What you call "splitted views" are called "windows" in Emacs.

The font zooming I cited changes the size of a frame's default font. But you can
use other fonts anywhere you want. You would need to do some Emacs-Lisp coding
(unless someone else has done it), but you could use a different font in
different contexts (e.g. some window). However, there is no such thing as a
window's font, the same way there is a frame's font, so I don't think that what
you want would be straightforward.

If you use one window per frame (e.g. non-nil `pop-up-frames'), then you can
"have a view of a file in a smaller font" while the other frames (e.g. other
files) remain at the same font size. IOW, if you use Emacs frames the way you
are now using Emacs windows, then you can have what you want immediately. If you
stick to Emacs windows, then you will probably need to do some work to get what
you want.