Re: Flyspell Can't check region...

From: Sébastien Vauban
Subject: Re: Flyspell Can't check region...
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 09:54:52 +0200

Hi Tassilo, Reiner and the rest ;-)

First of all, thanks for your answers...

>>> (I think that) Since I installed `flyspell.el' 1.7n from
>>> http://www-sop.inria.fr/mimosa/Manuel.Serrano/flyspell/flyspell.html
>>> I often have that error message:
>>>     Checking region...
>>>     if: Can't check region...
>>> while nothing happens --- my buffer doesn't get checked.
>>
>> I believe this problem with Gnus is related [1]. It's caused
>> because in the emacs CVS trunk (functionp 'if) evales to nil
>> now, because `if' is no function but a special form. That's
>> reasonable, so flyspell's code should be adapted accordingly.

OK, thanks for the info.

> Why don't you use the version of flyspell included in your
> Emacs version?

Good question. "Bad" habit ;-) of trying to update all of my
locally copied packages (downloaded from Internet) from time to
time...

Why am I not relying on CVS trunk?

In fact, I'm only using pre-compiled and packaged versions:

    o   the one from Alexandre Vassalotti for Ubuntu, and
    o   the one available on ourcomments.org for Windows.

And the reasons I have some packages locally copied are that:

    o   Both Emacs versions are not always in sync' (up to some
        weeks ago, the W32 version was still Emacs 22, for
        example), having then different packages with them.

    o   Some packages are easily included in Ubuntu (via Emacs
        goodies) while they aren't in Windows.

    o   Though, the Emacs goodies packages are well a lot out of
        date (color-theme, etc.)...

Because of this, I have some locally accessible packages that I
am accessing from both Emacs (only one local copy, only one
dot-emacs file).

That being said, I dropped the latest `flyspell.el' file from my
local repository, and yes - it seems to resolve my problems...

Best regards,
  Seb

[1] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2008-04/msg00455.html

--