Re: How to unify notation for file accesses thru Samba?

From: Sébastien Vauban
Subject: Re: How to unify notation for file accesses thru Samba?
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 15:57:55 +0200

Hi Michael,

>> Is there a unified way to refer to SAMBA mounts?
>>
>> Currently, in my bookmarks list, I have "doubles" (one for Emacs
>> under Windows, one for Emacs under Linux):
>>
>>   Users on RUSSELL from Windows  //LINUXSRV/Users/
>>   Users on RUSSELL from Ubuntu   /smb:sva@LINUXSRV:/Users/
>>
>> Is there a way to unify both of them under one single notation?
>
> You could use abbreviations, combined with your bookmarks.

I did this, as advised:

;; define own abbreviation (for use with bookmarks)
(add-to-list
 'directory-abbrev-alist
 (if (memq system-type '(cygwin windows-nt))
     '("^/RUSSELL" . "//RUSSELL/Users/")
   '("^/RUSSELL" . "/smb:sva@RUSSELL:/Users/")))

and have this in my `bookmarks.txt' file:

("Users on RUSSELL"
 ((filename . "^/RUSSELL")
  (front-context-string . "sva\n  drwxrwxrwx")
  (rear-context-string . " 0 Jan  8 09:41 ")
  (position . 659)))

Trying to open `/RUSSELL' from `C-x C-f' does the right job,
asking me for my password.

Though, selecting the corresponding line from my bookmarks list:

  Users on RUSSELL              ^/RUSSELL

erroneously tells me:

RUSSELL nonexistent.  Relocate "Users on RUSSELL"? (y or n)

Any ideas?

Best regards,
  Seb

--