Re: HOME and END keys insert ~

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: HOME and END keys insert ~
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 11:02:37 +0300

> From: "jhc0033@gmail.com" <jhc0033@gmail.com>
> Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 21:24:08 -0700 (PDT)
>
> BTW, I thought I'd debug the problem and did
>
> M-x describe-key<return><home>
>
> and Emacs just inserted "~" in the buffer that was open.

Try "C-h l" (that's the letter ell, not the digit one), or "F1 l", and
you will see what keystrokes Emacs received from the OS.

Btw, is this in a windowed session or in a text terminal/xterm?  If
the latter, perhaps your termcap/terminfo and/or $TERM are not set up
correctly: Emacs relies on them to interpret special keys like HOME
and END.

> Emacs never stops disappointing me :-(

It never disappoints me, but maybe that's because I don't use Cygwin.