Re: $ emacs filename with special German chars gives me strange translit

From: Matthias Pfeifer
Subject: Re: $ emacs filename with special German chars gives me strange transliteration
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 17:58:04 +0200

Hi,

In general i think that unicode is still work in progress in Emacs. The Emacs homepage at http://www.gnu.org also says:

Future Versions

    * Emacs 23, the next major release, will have improved Unicode support.

So i think currently we can't expect working support.

Jens-Olaf Lindermann wrote:

> Problem 1: When I will start emacs with a new file, whose name contains some
> German chars like ä, ö or so, strange encoding-signs appear constantly in
> the echo(command)-buffer below though I have no problems opening such a
> filename with C-x C-f. Same happens if I will open something
> like /Aufsätze.

That may depend on how your terminal/console works with the umlauts. There are also settings for readline (i think) that affect the translation between 7 and 8 bit characters (or so...).

Matthias, who can't contribute anymore but will attentative follow this thread...