Re: kannada text on emacs 23

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: kannada text on emacs 23
Date: Thu, 1 May 2008 02:18:55 -0700 (PDT)

> I am using GNU Emacs version 23.0.60.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+
> Version 2.12.0) (package emacs-snapshot-20080228
> fromhttp://ppa.launchpad.net/avassalotti/ubuntualthough M-x version tells
> me the snapshot date is 2008-03-07) on Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon (running on
> Thinkpad T41). I have installed font packages emacs-intl-fonts as per
> directions in the emacs manual online. I still can't see text written
> in the Kannada language. All I see are boxes. Please help.

The manual has not yet been updated for the ongoing font work in CVS
trunk. You probably need to use opentype fonts with the xft backend,
and have Emacs configured to use libotf and m17n-flt libraries, rather
than using the old bitmap intlfonts package. I have no idea if the
ubuntu package is configured to use those libraries, but in Debian
testing at least, the version of m17n is too old, so any Emacs
snapshot for Debian will not be capable of displaying Indic scripts
properly.