first copy & paste not working

From: Joe Bloggs
Subject: first copy & paste not working
Date: Fri, 02 May 2008 02:35:12 +0100

I have the following lines my .emacs file for supporting cut & paste between
applications:

(mouse-sel-mode 1)
(setq x-select-enable-clipboard t)
(setq interprogram-paste-function 'x-cut-buffer-or-selection-value)

However, after starting emacs, the first cut/copy from within emacs is not
recognized. In other words, the first time I do a yank, it pastes whatever I
last copied outside emacs, even if I just did a cut/copy within emacs. I can
only yank my emacs text if I repeat the emacs cut/copy, othewise it just keeps
yanking the external text.
Can anyone help?