Re: Text encoding

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Text encoding
Date: Fri, 02 May 2008 13:34:43 +0300

> From: Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE>
> Date: Fri, 2 May 2008 00:54:15 +0200
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>

> Am 01.05.2008 um 14:10 schrieb Oleg Oltar:
>
> > I tried to copy, text from my M$ Word document (text in
> > Ukrainian) into Emacs. (I use this font in Emacs
> > -*-courier-*-*-*-*-14-*-*-*-*-*-*-cp1251**
>

> The mode-line shows the buffer is in Unicode encoding. So you better
> should take care that the buffer is pre-set to the same encoding as
> in the source application

Actually, the value of buffer-file-coding-system has no relation
whatsoever to the OP's problem: the problem is that characters
inserted into a buffer from the X selection or the clipboard are
decoded incorrectly.  But decoding of characters from the X selection
or the clipboard does NOT use buffer-file-coding-system, it uses
selection-coding-system.

Emacs allows you to insert into a buffer characters that cannot be
safely encoded by the buffer's encoding.  It's only when (and if) you
try to save the buffer, Emacs will ask to supply a more suitable
encoding.