Re: AUCTeX and Tramp

From: Stephen Berman
Subject: Re: AUCTeX and Tramp
Date: Tue, 06 May 2008 16:05:00 +0200

On Mon, 05 May 2008 13:10:21 -0400 jadamson@partners.org (Joel J. Adamson)
wrote:

> Stephen Berman <Stephen.Berman@gmx.net> writes:
>
>> When I try to run LaTeX via Tramp on a remote file under AUCTeX, LaTeX
>> says it can't find the file.  I can't tell if this is a bug or a faulty
>> configuration or other user error.  I have the same LaTeX setup (paths,
>> etc.) on both the local and remote machines.  I can reproduce the
>> problem with Emacs -Q by evaluating (load "auctex.el" nil t t), opening
>> the file via /ssh:, and typing C-c C-c to run LaTeX.  Then I get the
>> following output:
>
> Are you sure you're running latex on the remote server?

I assumed typing C-c C-c in the LaTeX buffer under Tramp would run LaTeX
on the remote machine; at any rate, as I mentioned in my OP, when I put
the buffer of the remote file in the standard Emacs (non-AUCTeX) LaTeX
mode, I can run LaTeX and it produces a .dvi file on the remote machine.
So this looks like an AUCTeX problem; I'll seek help on the AUCTeX list.

Steve Berman