Re: Emacs Spanning Dual Monitors

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: Emacs Spanning Dual Monitors
Date: Thu, 08 May 2008 18:29:18 -0600

Lex Fridman wrote:
Hi,

I'm using Ubuntu (Gnome). Also I'm using the word "frame" to denote an
instance of an emacs program and "window" as sub-divisions of that frame. I
believe this is the standard language that people use for Emacs.

Actually, an Emacs frame corresponds to a display system window -- a
single emacs OS process can display multiple frames.

Is it possible to span one emacs frame across dual monitors such that if I
were to split the frame into two windows, the right border of the left
window will "snap" to the right edge of the left monitor. In other words, is
it possible to tile windows in emacs across two monitors, such that each of
the two windows fits exactly to its respective monitor.

I can do this manually by simply stretching the Emacs frame across the two
monitors and then adjusting the window separator to fall exactly between the
two monitors, however, this kind of "manual" solution is not what Emacs
customization is all about! Any ideas?

Would 2 frames (instead of 2 windows in a single frame) also satisfy
your needs?

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA