Re: Emacs Spanning Dual Monitors

From: Niels Giesen
Subject: Re: Emacs Spanning Dual Monitors
Date: Fri, 09 May 2008 09:25:50 +0200

Lex Fridman <lexfridman@gmail.com> writes:
> Kevin Rodgers-2 wrote:
>>
>> Would 2 frames (instead of 2 windows in a single frame) also satisfy
>> your needs?
>>

> No because then if you split each frame in two (thus having four total
> frames open), you would switch between each pair of subwindows with "C-x o"
> and between the two frames with alt-Tab. I would like to be able to use "C-x
> o" across all four.

Use C-x 5 o (M-x other-frame) to select another frame. This shortcircuits any
window managers ALT-TAB rings.

On the subject of using a single frame, you can use a prefix argument to specify
the width of the left buffer in columns. I think you have to find out your width
yourself. So if your left screen has room for 138 columns, and your right one
178, do C-u 138 C-x 3 from your initial single-window frame. (Just type M-:
(window-width) RET to find out the proper width when you have adjusted
manually).

If there is a way to find out columns able to be fit into
a monitor screen from within emacs, you are able to automise this further.

Also, note the functions `window-configuration-to-register' and
`frame-configuration-to-register'.