Re: Building on the Hurd

From: Evans Winner
Subject: Re: Building on the Hurd
Date: Fri, 09 May 2008 15:54:04 -0600

Phil Carmody <thefatphil_demunged@yahoo.co.uk> writes:

         Evans Winner <ego111@gmail.com> writes:
         What is FFDLY, anyway?

    Plain old Debian GNU/Linux on x86:

    /usr/include/asm/termbits.h:
    [snip]
    #define FFDLY       0100000

Right.  Hmm.  Of course the problem is that on this system
grep -r FFDLY /usr/include/* results in nothing.  There is
in fact no asm/ subdirectory.  I wonder if there is some
package I can conveniently install that provides that.

In any case, I looked at the code and decided that there was
a good chance I could just delete the one symbol.
Compilation then proceeded past (yay!) to another error
(boo!) in (iirc) fileio.c line 6153 in which the symbol
`insdef' was undefined in a struct.  All my googling has
told me so far is that it seems to have once been a part of
the Emacs code, but it looks like it's no longer used,
except that compiling on this platform has caused the code
to reach this point that usually isn't reached.  At least,
that's my guess.  Does `insdef' have a standard meaning to C
coders?

I am beginning to think that it would be better to just
install Hurd from the ISOs (which means buying a replacement
for my broken IDE CD-ROM drive).