Re: regexp that matches newline characters?

From: Dmitri Minaev
Subject: Re: regexp that matches newline characters?
Date: Sun, 11 May 2008 23:32:30 +0500

On Sun, May 11, 2008 at 11:11 PM, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@web.de> wrote:
>  Could be this helps: http://swtch.com/~rsc/regexp/regexp1.html

Not really, I'm afraid :). What inspired me to a certain degree was a
quotation from an old Jamie Zawinski's e-mail:

"The heavy use of regexps in Perl is due to them being far and away
the most obvious hammer in the box.

The heavy use of regexps in Emacs is due almost entirely to
performance issues: because of implementation details, Emacs code that
uses regexps will almost always run faster than code that uses more
traditional control structures." (from
http://regex.info/blog/2006-09-15/247)

Let's hope it still holds true...

--