Re: UTF-8 character question

From: Harald Hanche-Olsen
Subject: Re: UTF-8 character question
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 09:14:31 +0200

+ horatio@gmail.com:

> I downloaded Emacs 22.2.1 for Windows, and I was pleased to find that
> Chinese characters work "out of the box" on my computer.  However, I
> have a weird visualization problem for some characters.  One example
> is 你你.  These two characters appear the same in Firefox, in Notepad,
> in the file system (ie Explorer), and in various other places.
> However, in Emacs, the character on the left appears as an empty
> square, but the character on the right shows up as the Chinese
> character for "you".

I am confused. They not only /look/ the same, they /are/ the same
character (U+4F60). Maybe your news posting software knows what emacs
doesn't, and has changed one of those so they are equal?

I'm afraid you will have to describe the difference between the two
characters somehow.

  -- Bertrand Russell