Re: hang while marking large region

From: Joel J. Adamson
Subject: Re: hang while marking large region
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 13:50:38 -0400

Dan Espen <daneNO@MORE.mk.SPAMtelcordia.com> writes:

> jadamson@partners.org (Joel J. Adamson) writes:
>
>> andrew.tao@gmail.com writes:
>>
>>> hello,
>>>
>>> i'm using 21.1.13 xemacs. when i set the mark and then scroll to a
>>> distant area in a text file, xemacs hangs. we're talking about a few
>>> megabytes of data being marked.
>>
>> Please distinguish between Emacs using an X display and the separate
>> software project XEmacs.
>>
>>> it seems that xemacs must be trying to copy the marked region
>>> somewhere and then hanging.
>>>
>>> any ideas for a workaround?
>>
>> Workaround: don't use XEmacs.
>>
>> This is a known problem.  I had this same problem and the solution was
>> to switch.
>>
>> http://steve-yegge.blogspot.com/2008/04/xemacs-is-dead-long-live-xemacs.html
>
> Never seen the XEmacs stability problem you describe.

I didn't describe it, Steve Yegge described it.  I didn't have the
stability problems he describes either, but I did have annoying hang-ups
with fontification and a few other things.

> That said, switching to GNU Emacs is probably a good way to go.

You can find a page on the subject here:
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/EmacsAndXEmacs

That page helped me make the choice.  Like I said, I can't remember why
I picked XEmacs, I think because I saw a screenshot of it heavily
customized.  However, my customizations now go a lot further in Emacs.

Joel

--
Joel J. Adamson
Biostatistician

Ineffective security measure:

The information transmitted in this electronic communication is intended only
for the person or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential
use of or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or
information in error, please contact the Compliance HelpLine at 800-856-1983 and
properly dispose of this information.