incorrect character display when typing.

From: Jerry
Subject: incorrect character display when typing.
Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 08:51:55 -0700 (PDT)

Hi I'm currently experiencing an unexpected change of characters when
typing. Normally it happens when I'm searching and navigating buffers
(using C-s, C-M-s, M-< etc) but I dont know what triggers it, I think
I've only seen it while browsing *scratch* but I'm far from sure.
anyhow at some point when I type "qwertyuiopasdfghjklzxcvbnm" emacs
displays éöóêåíãø¢çô?âàïðîëäÿ÷ñìèòü
which is not good, Control-key combinations are Working correct, but M-
x example gives M-x ó÷ôüçäó which of course is unparsable. Using the
menubar files for opening files, the files display correctly. Other
programs are also working correctly (I experience an out of the blue
locale change for the windows keyboard mapping in the past but that
affected all programs).

I tried emacs 22.1 and 22.2, doesnt make a difference, I completely
emptied the .emacs. Is there a quick solutions and explanation of
behavior above? Oh jah platform is windows XP.

Right now the only way to solve this is to restart emacs
many thanks in advance,

regards,
Jeroen.