Spell check: adding words to a file-specific dictionary

From: Yevgeniy Makarov
Subject: Spell check: adding words to a file-specific dictionary
Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 12:07:24 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,

Suppose I am doing a spell check, and I came across a word that I want
to add to my dictionary. However, this word is specific to the file I
am editing or the project I am working on; it is unlikely to occur in
other documents. Therefore, I don't want to add it to my local
dictionary in the home directory. I can press "a" and have the word
remembered for one Emacs session, but what if I check this document
several times on different days?

Is there a way to remember this word for this document only, e.g., via
file variables or a dictionary in a certain project directory? Maybe I
can use something like --extra-dicts option of aspell, but is there a
way to put words into that dictionary during the spellchecking session
(similar to how the "i" key puts a word in the local dictionary)?

Thank you,
Evgeny