Re: opening a filename that appears in a buffer?

From: Richard G Riley
Subject: Re: opening a filename that appears in a buffer?
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 23:52:38 +0200

ljp <lonnie.princehouse@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello all,
>
> I'm relatively new to emacs, and it is gradually becoming the central
> fixture through which I do all of my programming.    One thing I find
> myself doing often is executing a shell command in a shell buffer, and
> then wanting to open a file that was listed in the output of the shell
> command.   To do this right now I manually select the filename and
> paste it into the minibuffer for C-x C-f.  Is there an easier way?
> Like, maybe, a command that is able to pick out a filename from the
> buffer when the cursor is in (but not necessarily at the start of)
> that filename, and then open the file in a new buffer?
>
> Thanks!  I've looked through documentation, but I haven't found
> anything like this.

directly from my .emacs and its been there for a while so I dont know if
its the best way:

;; open file/url at point
(require 'ffap)
(ffap-bindings)
(add-to-list 'ffap-c-path "/usr/src/linux/include")
(add-to-list 'ffap-c-path "/usr/src/linux/include/linux")
(add-to-list 'ffap-c-path "/usr/include")
(add-to-list 'ffap-c-path "/usr/include/gtk-2.0")