Re: Running .emacs style commands within emacs

From: james
Subject: Re: Running .emacs style commands within emacs
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 11:05:54 -0700 (PDT)

On May 19, 6:51 pm, "Ben Forbes" <bdfor...@gmail.com> wrote:
> In my .emacs init file I have commands like
>
> (fset 'delete-whole-line "\C-a\C-k\C-k")
>
> How can I run a command like this from within emacs? It doesn't seem to be
> recognized when I try "M-x fset".

M-x only allows you to run interactive commands, which fset is not.

If you want to run an arbitrary lisp expression (very useful for
giving variables buffer-local values), you can use M-x eval-expression
(bound to M-: on my emacs), then you can type in your s-expression in
the minibuffer:
   (setq c-basic-offset 3)

(or you could just type it in the buffer and C-x-e, as others have
mentioned)