Trouble getting ange-ftp to work

From: Davin Pearson
Subject: Trouble getting ange-ftp to work
Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 22:17:14 -0700 (PDT)

I tried the following settings but neither worked (note that the
second one refers to
ftp://ftp.gnu.org/old-gnu/emacs/windows/contrib/ftp-for-win32.zip

(setq ange-ftp-ftp-program-name "c:/WINDOWS/system32/ftp.exe")
(setq ange-ftp-ftp-program-name "d:/home/ftp.exe")

When I try to load the following program into Emacs

/davin@ftphost.ripway.com:index.php

it opens with an empty file yet the file index.php is known by me to
be not empty.  Click in the following link to verify that the file is
not empty:

http://h1.ripway.com/davin/index.php

What am I doing wrong here?  I have been using Emacs for 10 years now
and I have written over 17,000 lines of Elisp code, including one file
(trashcan.el) that I have submitted to the official Emacs Lisp List at
Cambridge University.