Re: Is it possible to use new Emacsen with non-ASCII?

From: Ilya Zakharevich
Subject: Re: Is it possible to use new Emacsen with non-ASCII?
Date: Sat, 24 May 2008 06:58:20 +0000 (UTC)

Jason Rumney
<jasonrumney@gmail.com>], who wrote in article
<bf47fc0f-3589-4da6-8a24-9d3f0f442f8b@2g2000hsn.googlegroups.com>:
> On May 23, 10:55 am, Ilya Zakharevich <nospam-ab...@ilyaz.org> wrote:
>
> > However, it become harder and harder to document as "a solution"...
>
> A solution to what?

To work around the fact that by default Emacs is only 7-bit-clean.

> It looks like a kludge that is useful to you as a
> workaround for a misconfigured system

First of all, I never in my life saw a system which was not
misconfigured (and I saw thousands).

> that does not support the locale that is appropriate for your
> terminal.

Second, no system will ever support all the possible terminal
configurations.

> Most users in such a position
> would be happy with the solution documented in the manual with hard-
> coded values for language and coding-system:

> (set-language-environment "Cyrillic-KOI8") ; From the "International"
> node in the manual
> (set-terminal-coding-system 'cyrillic-koi8)   ; From the "Terminal
> Coding" node in the manual
> (set-keyboard-coding-system 'cyrillic-koi8) ; likewise

This looks to make Emacs 8-bit-clean.  If this solution were
documented in one particular place which is easy to find, I would be
quite happy.

Unfortunately, as you saw, even Emacs developers were not able to
provide a "quite working" solution on the first (and second) try.  I
do not think this indicates an acceptable state of the docs...

So "Most users" won't be "quite happy" with Emacs in 8-bit environments...

Thanks,
Ilya