isearch-forward-regexp in macro

From: Jerry
Subject: isearch-forward-regexp in macro
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 02:47:57 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,
I created a macro, dowing M-C-s, I do search for an optional space.
Edit macro shows
M-C-s                   ;; isearch-forward-regexp
insert                  ;; self-insert-command * 6
SPC                     ;; self-insert-command
into                    ;; self-insert-command * 4
SPC                     ;; self-insert-command
table                   ;; self-insert-command * 5
SPC                     ;; self-insert-command
?(id.*values    ;; self-insert-comma

But this fails, dropping SPC^Q^J ? fixes the problem. Did a miracle
just happen and did I find an emacs bug? And if not how can I bypass
this little annoyance?
(the buffer I searched in did not contain any 'insert into table[SPC]
(' strings only  'insert into table(')
regards,
Jeroen.