Re: rgrep with (some) fixed parameters

From: Stefan Vollmar
Subject: Re: rgrep with (some) fixed parameters
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2008 23:43:40 +0200

Dear Peter,

On 06.06.2008, at 22:40, Peter Jones wrote:

Stefan Vollmar <vollmar@nf.mpg.de> writes:
I find the M-rgrep command very useful but need it frequently in the
context of a particular project where all parameters remain constant
(directory, name pattern of files to search) except the expression to
look for. How could I create a command my-rgrep that uses some pre- set
parameters and only asks for the search pattern (the project-specific
parameters have already been assigned to some variables) ?

You just need to write a few small lines of lisp.  Read the
documentation for rgrep:

C-h f rgrep

I did, but I am new to Emacs customization and might have overlooked something.
If I do the equivalent of a

(setq grep-find-command "find somepath \\( -path \*/.svn \\) -prune -o -type f \\( -iname \\*.cpp \\) -exec grep -nH -e {} /dev/null \\;")

in my .emacs file,
C-u C-u M-x rgrep
does indeed use this pattern (and does not ask about anything else, and I could use a keyboard shortcut for this) - so far so good. However, I feel that having to look at that long-ish command every time I use it, is not elegant - in particular, as I need to navigate to the correct position when the find command is being displayed in the minibuffer (point should be between "-e" and "{}" to insert the pattern to search for). Could you help me improve on this?

Many thanks in advance,
 Stefan
--
Dr. Stefan Vollmar, Dipl.-Phys.
Max-Planck-Institut für neurologische Forschung