Re: md5 checksum of a img file, or get the value of 100th byte

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: md5 checksum of a img file, or get the value of 100th byte
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2008 17:45:43 -0500

On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 23:07:11 +0300 Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

>> From: Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com>
>> Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2008 13:55:18 -0500
>>
EZ> ??? insert-file-contents already can read only a portion of a file.
EZ> See its doc string.
>>
>> I know about that.  I'd like to be able to open a 1 GB file in Emacs and
>> view just a piece at a time, in a sliding window.  I am not aware of
>> functionality to do this

EZ> For viewing such a file, it should be easy to write some Lisp using
EZ> insert-file-contents to read a file one chunk at a time.

That's what I meant, but it's definitely not easy.  Emacs assumes it can
just copy all data into the kill ring, for instance.  I couldn't write
such a node though I'd appreciate it very much.

EZ> For editing, I submit that there should be no reason to edit such
EZ> large files.

Maybe 10 years ago that was true.  Today I see huge (over 300 MB) files
very often (as a programmer and as a sysadmin).  Logs of all sorts, for
instance, and database dumps.

It gets annoying to use less, split, grep, and Perl to get things done
when in Emacs it would have been a few quick commands.  But I cope.

Ted